Did you know only 1 in 3 children are physically active every day? Or that children and teens spend more than 7 hours per day on average using TVs, computers, phones and other electronic devices for entertainment. And that 1 out of 3 children is either overweight or obese in the United States.
These alarming statistics are exactly why we need to work harder in order to reverse these bad habits that are associated with weight gain. The great news is that it doesn’t have to be this way. In fact, parents can play a key role in helping their child become more physically active.
Here are some tips that you can use to help your child be the healthiest they can be:
- Be a role model.
- Children are more likely to become physically active when they see their parents be active or exercise. So get out and move!
- Turn off the electronics.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no more than 1 to 2 hours of total screen time, including TV, videos, computers, and video games, each day. Use the free time for more physical activities.
- Come to Healthy Kids Day!
- On Saturday, March 25 the YMCA of Greater Cleveland will hold our annual FREE event, Healthy Kids Day. It will be held at Quicken Loans Arena in Downtown Cleveland from 3 – 5 p.m. We will have local companies and businesses there ready with healthy and activities and ideas for the entire family! Make sure you register you and your kids here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/healthy-kids-day-2017-registration-32085677124
#ClevelandYMCA #ForABetterUs #BetterTogether #ThisIsY #HealthyKidsDay #hkdCLE #cause #community #ymca #Cleveland